Who is John W. Hoffman
Originally founded as a junior high school in 1923, the Willow Street School was renamed in 1927 as an expression of appreciation to an educator whose life was spent in the service of others – John Wesley Hoffman (1870-1926).
From its inception the John W. Hoffman School was established to demonstrate a better type of school for the community, characterized by well-planned curriculum and wholesome developmental activities such as library, music, Senate, athletics, charities, and Girls and Boys Clubs. Students at the Hoffman School won many prizes and awards from participating in garden and nature study contests and exhibits. They even published their own school paper, the “Green and Gold.”
At its most recent campus located at 2622 South Prieur Street, John W. Hoffman School went on to serve students from kindergarten through sixth grade until August 29, 2005, when damages from Hurricane Katrina destroyed the building.
The New Orleans College Preparatory Academies re-established the school ten years later in 2015 on the same parcel of land, honoring its namesake, as John W. Hoffman College Prep. In 2017, “College Prep” was replaced with “Early Learning Center” to denote that the school also functions as a licensed child care facility. With excellence, scholarship, and pride the school will bear out its founding mission to earnestly and steadily progress over time to serve all of New Orleans: “Its history must always reveal [that] teachers and pupils must ever strive to keep high its aim, lofty its purpose and prove that all good things do come from Hoffman.”